Kanabo: Expert Rules
KANABO is a rules-light pen-and-paper fantasy role-playing game set loosely in Tokugawa-era Japan (1600–1868) and based on iconic sword-fighting genre movies set in that time period, with cultural consulting by James Mendez Hodes (@LulaVampiro). This is a trio of supplements for the base game.
This is a work in progress. Additional books will be updated and added as completed.
This is a digital-only product. Print edition TBA.
Within the 28-page Expert Rule Supplement, you'll find:
- Additional Stats including Saves, Stress, Grit, and a Level and treasure-based Experience Points system
- Character archetypes and a Skill system
- Expanded Travel, Camping, Foraging, Hunting and Exploration rules
- Expanded combat rules
- Stress, Panic, and character retirement
- Expanded Hirelings
- Expanded Weapons and Armor
Within the 35-page Monsters & Treasure Supplement, you'll find
- 22 different allies & antagonists to encounter, ranging from natural creatures to pirates, feudal knights, and warrior-monks
- Encounter lists arranged by the major biomes of feudal Japan
- 31 types of treasure hoards to discover
- 10 variety of coins to amass
- 55 trade goods
- 19 artifacts
- Maps to additional treasures
Within the Magic Supplement, you'll find
Based on Christina Stone-Bush's Brighthammer, John Geary's Sledgehammer, and Sean McCoy's Mothership, KANABO is an independent work compatible with Sledgehammer, Brighhammer and Mothership but not affiliated with Gayhalforc, HyveMynd or Tuesday Knight Games.